Monday, October 27, 2008

I Made It Monday: Butternut Squash Sauté

This is a side dish that was pretty new for me. I saw it in one of Mookie’s recipe books and I have enjoyed squash in dishes other people have prepared and it feels like an autumn dish so I copied it and thought I’d give it a try. When it came time to cut and peel the butternut squash, I knew it was not going to be pretty and I could very possibly hurt myself, so instead of just plowing into it I checked online for tips on cutting & peeling butternut squash and found this video.

WARNING: she is a bit chatty…

Pretty interesting, huh? Well, prepared with an idea of what I was supposed to do I set to it. It took me forever and I certainly wasn’t graceful but all 10 fingers were in tact by the end so I call that good! The rest was pretty simple – but I barely fit it all into my pan. I’ll have to use a bigger one next time.

Butternut Squash Sauté

4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 med onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 small butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (6 cups) (OR one really big one)
½ tsp chopped fresh or 1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/8 tsp pepper
3 cups firmly packed baby spinach leaves (I usually wait till the packages go on sale)

-In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. -Stir in onion. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is crisp-tender.
-Stir in squash, thyme and pepper. Cover; cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender. Stir in spinach just until wilted.

About 8 servings and takes about 40 minutes from start to finish (unless you are new to cutting and peeling squash which then might require about 15-20 extra minutes :O)

4 comments:

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

that's amazing! I want to eat it! I think I'll try it soon. yummy. thanks for the recipe!
love you guys!
brandi

Megs said...

I love butternut, but hate hate hate peeling it! I never thought to cut it first. I'll have to try this; my grandma always has tons of extra butternut from her garden. Thanks for posting!

Rachel said...

oh my goodness! seriously, that video makes me want to go out and buy some butternut squash just to find recipes to put it in.. like the one you posted! YUMMY! I LOVE trying new recipes.. just wish I was better at it! But, gotta try! Thanks for always commenting on my blog! I absolutely LAUGHED so hard when I watched the "Bathtub Speech"! WOW! Hilarious! Thanks for that!

Nate and Marcie said...

That looks so delicious! Can you come to my house and cook for me?