Inspired by Rachel's Monday updates on crafts and things she has been doing I thought I would share some of the things I have been doing. I like to do crafts. I'm not that great at it and don't have the money so I haven't been doing much of that lately...BUT, with STILL not having a job and the extra time I have I have been getting much more into cooking as of late. If you've ever been in the kitchen with me you will know that ANYTHING I do in the kitchen does NOT come naturally. Growing up I could have cared less about things my Mom cooked or any tips she had, and she tried to prep me for the day I would leave home - but I didn't want anything to do with it. I hated the kitchen and CLEANING it was my LEAST favorite chore. I used to say that I would clean a toilet everyday if I didn't have to clean the kitchen or wash dishes. I don't know where my abhorrence for the kitchen came from, but it wasn't long after I left for college that I knew I had made a mistake. I had all the skills to clean, do my laundry and whatever else I needed to survive...but cooking was not one of them. I don't remember this, but my Mom said I called home one day to ask how to boil water...should I be embarrassed about that? Also, one of my roommates wouldn't let me cut anything because she was afraid I would hurt myself or someone else. ANYWAY, slowly my ways have changed and I have slowly come to enjoy the kitchen and cooking and if you ask Dan I am actually becoming pretty good at it (Thanks to a few books, examples, and FINALLY listening to my mother!)
So...I thought I'd share once in a while some of the things I have been doing or making. I have a personal goal to try something new every week. I am a big fan of recipes that don't require half the grocery store of ingredients. I like recipes that use ingredients I will use again in something else. The closer a meal is to the original food, the more of a fan I am...of course there are always exceptions I guess...Now, I'm sure to all my friends who are cooking connoisseurs
these may seem lame and SO beginner...BUT I am having fun discovering cooking! I recently made Ginger Honey Chicken with Vanilla Rice. It was SOOOOO good (If I do say so myself). Try to ignore my lame attempt at creative plate presentation. Anyway, it was great and SO easy! Let me know if you want the recipe. I had never worked with ginger before so it was something new for me.
4 comments:
I'm impressed! I sometimes have a hard time picturing my friends since childhood in the homemaking role. I can honestly say I've never seen you do anything remotely resembling cooking, unless you count girls camp, and that time you ate raw chicken! I'm curious about the vanilla rice--is it really good? Sounds kinda wierd...
that looks super yummy! I'd love it if you would post the recipe!
This post brought back some memories from childhood, like the time you (if i'm remembering correctly) put the potatoes in the oven still in the plastic bowl. that was amazing! thanks for the good memory. and i have ton of recipes from a cooking class i went to if you want anymore ideas!
sorry the previous comment was me but apparently my brother had been on the computer before!
Post a Comment