Friday, June 29, 2012

God Bless

Today I was at the park with Charlie and James.  It was a beautiful day.  The sun was out.  It wasn't too hot or too cold.  Charlie was in love with the new playground and we enjoyed playtime and a picnic. 

We were leaving the dry park area for the water play area and as we went I noticed another mother with two children passing us on the sidewalk.  I noticed because the woman looked like she was about to say something to me then changed her mind.  Then again just as she was passing me she looked like she wanted to speak, but still said nothing.  I just smiled at her.  Then a moment after she passed I heard her say, "Maam?"  I turned around to see her walking backwards after her children and she said with only slight hesitation this time, "Maam, I just wanted to tell you that God loves you.  God loves you.  God bless you."  I was suprised not only with the words of her message, but by the true sincerity and genuine love I felt from this woman.  I stuttered out a thank you, a smile, and a "God bless you" in return.  She hurried on to catch up with her children and I to mine, but I walked away with a smile I couldn't wipe away...and I didn't want to. 

Now, the term "God Bless" is one heard often in the south.  Or the phrase have a "Blessed day".  And outside of church I've had people tell me God loved me, but it was usually after they discovered my religion and felt that I needed to be "saved".  But today was different.  At the moment that mother spoke I could feel love; love of a perfect stranger who has felt the love of God for herself and had to share that love.  I felt the spirit confirm that YES, God does love me.  I loved that woman for who she was, a sister, a fellow child of a loving God, and a possesor of true charity. 

I could tell it took some courage for this mother to tell me.  I don't know what prompted her to say it at that moment or why to me, but I'm glad she did.  It made my day.  It made me smile.  And it made me want to pass on the joy I felt.  So to all of you I want to sincerely say God loves you and God bless you.

2 comments:

SSToone said...

How wonderful! Thank you for sharing this and for the great reminder. Probably no coincidence.

Dan Brewer said...

Heavenly Father always looks out for you...emotionally and spiritually