
So, our plans have recently changed (for those of you who knew what they were), or haven't (if you didn't know). Dan and I our moving together down to Destin, Florida. We will be making a TRUE cross-country road trip in less than 2 weeks from Auburn, WA to Destin, FL. We have 12 days to pack our moving truck, unpack at our destination, and drive across our great nation with stops that will include Mr. Rushmore, Nebraska - to see the Johnson Family :O), Oklahoma - to see family, and Memphis Tennessee - to see...(I'm not sure yet. For some odd reason I've always wanted to go there. Anyone been there before? I know that is where Elvis lived, and supposedly they have great music?) We are very excited! So, in preparation for our road trip...
Here is the TAG!
To: Anyone and everyone who reads this blog,
Post about your most memorable Road Trip experience. Now you can take "memorable" to mean whatever you want, but I am curious to see what sort of trips stand out in everyone's memories. I look forward to reading them!
10 comments:
The road-trip that stands out the most in my memory is the one that Chad and I took right after we were married, to drive all the wedding gifts from Seattle home to Vegas. After the awesome festivities, my oral contraceptive-induced hormone shift was in full swing, and we bickered much of the way back! Not a great memory, but memorable just the same.
I absolutely LOVE road trips! My most memorable is probably when I drove to the Oregon coast with my mom, sister, and niece about 6(?) years ago. Just the girls! They all drove me a little crazy (because I'm a control freak, and they are all a bit out of control!!), but I managed to not let it get to me too much that it took them FOREVER to get going in the morning. It was my last road trip with my mom, and I am SOOOO glad we did it!
Hey, by the way, when are you going to be in OK? We're still here... although our house situation got a bit interesting recently. In a nutshell, we sold the old house, decided not to buy the one we were building, and are now in a rental and looking for something to buy. Ugh! Anyway, when will we see you????
Wow, what a big move! Good luck in everything- My favorite road trip story isn't my own. The one time I got to stay home alone from a family road trip was the time that the whole family got food poisoning from Denny's.
I always loved the trips, though. My mom would read to us from Roald Dahl books, and we'd eat great road food out of coolers.
In response to your comment: Roller Derby is relatively new to me. It had been a running joke between us, "Sure sweetie, do roller derby- and I'll become an ultimate cage fighter." After a rough time this year, he actually said "You know what? If you can get through this, I think roller derby is a great idea." So I've been volunteering and getting ready for this next round of try outs!
Sleeping at rest stops. My dad would sleep under the car so he was laying flat and not all cramped up in the car with the rest of us.
Good luck! And make sure yo get -real- Memphis BBQ. I hear it's supposed to be the best.
so two years ago this month i drove from salt lake to mesa for a friends wedding and had a great adventure. Neither I nor my friend who joined me for the fun had ever driven to arizona before so we were unaware of the fact that there is no direct route that doesn't take you to las vegas or through the middle of a national park to get there. so we find ourselves in st george and realize we have missed the exit mapquest had provided us with. after asking directions in st. george and having all the men at the gas station giving us multiple answers we headed back to Hurricane (looks just like the weather but the pronunciation is completely different). after driving through hurricane and la verkin (no i am not making this up) we took another wrong turn and ended up at the entrance to zion's national park. here the trusty park ranger tried to help but all he could offer, and he did it 3 times, that we needed to turn around and head back to hurricane. so we did and my friend eliza went right up to some old men at the grocery store, interrupted their conversation, and got the best directions. After this 90 minute detour we enjoyed the wonders of the painted desert and we made our way safetly to mesa.
thank you guys so much for stopping here. We had so much fun showing you around and having you be here to love on our kids. They love you so much! We miss you already!
sis, david, lincoln, and henry
Good heavens are you there yet???
we love you guys! Happy Birthday Tiny. We tried to call your phones, but you must be really busy! We love you. Happy birthday!
Linc sang it to you all by his self.
Okay...after my dad died, we were returning to Arizona from Colorado. We had KFC for dinner and the kids were all sick. Louie refused to stop at a gas station and told the kids to just hang their heads out the window to puke. So, cars would pass us and honk and point to the kids as if to say,"Your kids are puking out the window!" Some people drove by and gave us looks of disgust, like how can you be so inconsiderate of your own children. When we finally pulled into a gas station for gas, Lou washed th car. Yep! that was memorable. Oh...and ask Jay about the trip from Arizona to Oklahoma...quite memorable.
Post a Comment