Wednesday, October 1, 2008

10-Year Time Capsule

Unpacking has unearthed some forgotten treasures. Pictures, letters, etc. One treasure I came across was a time capsule I had put together when I was 14 in 8th grade (Gotta love middle school...). I opened it shortly after Dan and I were married (age 24) and we laughed at all the things I had written and put in. Finding and looking through it again has made me laugh all over and think about my life and where I'm at. It was funny to look at some of my predictions at what I would be doing at age 24 or had already done such as having a bachelors degree (not quite by 24, just 2+ years), being an ultrasound technician (not too far off I guess - still a health care position), being married (check), have served a mission (check), have a baby on the way (27 years old and still working on that one), traveled to Scotland (I really wanted to go to Scotland then...will Hong Kong do?), and have a dog (not currently - it's funny what is important when you are in 8th grade)

My favorite part of the capsule was the letter I had written to myself...

Dear Tina,

I can't wait to open the box. I know you're on the road to success. Wherever and whatever you are right now I'm sure you're happy and content. It's kind of awkward righting (yes, that is how I spelled it) to myself, but I'm positive that I will thoroughly enjoy it. Always have self confidence. Like in the Sound of Music, the movie, when she sings, "...I have confidence in me".

I love our family so much. I am also so grateful for the gospel. I know that the Church is true.

You know that list of things I like in here? Well, I bet your interests and favorite things have tremendously changed. Tori is so cute now. I'm sure she doesn't look like a baby at all anymore, huh? Are you still in touch with some of our old friends? I'm anxious to see how everything is when I open this box. I love you, and I know that you love me. HeeHee.

Love,
Tina Bulson

P.S. Keep in touch! Ha! Ha! Ha!


I sure cracked myself up I guess. But really...I very much enjoyed reading that letter to myself and even the advice. :O) Looking at my life now, I am so very happy and content. And although some things in my life have not worked out as I had originally hoped or planned I wouldn't change a thing. Life is good!




Some pics from the capsule: They aren't very clear, but you can click to enlarge

Top left: Girls Camp - Top row: Cari, Melissa, Emily, Mackenzie, Elisa
bottom row: Kirsten, Megan
Top right: The Family
Bottom left: Elisa and Melissa
Bottom middle: Tori
Bottom right: Me

8 comments:

Megs said...

Oh my! Look at those girls camp pics! I have a letter from my middle-school self too; it's pretty embarrassing.

Nate and Marcie said...

Tina, I love to see that you and Dan are doing well! I can't believe that you guys drove all the way across the country, seriously! Marcie

gretchen said...

Oh, the time capsule thing is just too cool. I wish I had one! Hm... do you think it would be as fun if I did one now and opened it in 10 years? Eh, probably not.

emilybolles said...

That is so funny! What a cute letter you wrote to yourself. Those girls camp pictures make me miss the good ole days.

Jaush and Amy said...

Very cute! Do you still have that green zipped sweater?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Tina, this kills. And did you look close at me in that picture? I look so sad and lonely. I totally remember those blue and white striped shorts....Tina, that was a hilarious letter. Favorite part: Ha!Ha!Ha!

Elisa said...

Tina! How the heck are you! I am so glad that you left a comment on my blog! I often wonder how you and everyone else is doing, now I can always see. Don't you love blogs! You and Dan are so cute together! Oh, I remeber good ole Girls Camp. Dont you miss those days.

maegan said...

Hey Tina! Love the time capsule. What a cool thing to have! I'm diggin' the black and white checker pants you are wearing! Those picture reminded me of how much I admired all you "older" girls :). Still do. Thanks for sharing!