Thursday, January 14, 2010

Watch me Grow and 39 Week Update



Isn't it fun to see the progress?

Well, still no baby. I guess it shouldn't be a big surprise considering my official due date is still a week away, but I was having more contractions and cues that labor was in the not too distant future at the beginning of the month than I am now! I remember on New Years day never thinking I would make it this far. I am not frustrated and I am mentally preparing myself that I could even be overdue. BUT I REALLY, REALLY hope not. Besides, I feel like things are gearing back up ever since my doctor's appointment this morning.

It is amazing how within one week so much more discomfort can set in. Suddenly everything aches! My lower back, my upper belly, my feet, my shins (I really think I am getting shin splints), and my lower legs and feet have been getting swollen. My socks leave these gnarly prints in my legs now at the end of the day. I am trying to keep well hydrated and elevate my feet more. I have adopted "waddling" - I can control it and don't usually do it in public, but the waddle actually takes some of the pressure off my hips and pelvis somehow. I think I am ready to have this baby! But we'll let her take her sweet time and cook up a little more. She does, however seem like she is ready too. She is definitely getting cramped in there and every movement is felt!

Today was my 39 Week doctor appointment and was meant to be my last but I have an appointment Wednesday if there is still no baby. The doctor said the baby can come anytime. She even offered to induce anytime I want if I were so inclined. I have to admit it would be kind of nice to know exactly when things could start, but I will let baby run the show. We had another non-stress test for the baby which she of course aced in the first 5 minutes again. When the doctor checked me she said I was still at 1 cm dilated, but a "loose" and "soft" 1. Dan joked that I should be offended my doctor called me loose! She said the baby is SO low and very well engaged, she seemed very surprised I wasn't more dilated than I was. She said I am about 90% effaced. We also had a great talk with her about more of her opinions and practices with labor and childbirth and found out that she has only a 7% c-section rate, AND she almost never performs an episiotomy (for which I am happy about). She put our mind at ease for a lot of other things as well. She is on call ALL weekend so this would be the perfect time for baby to arrive! I am so happy I have a doctor who truly loves her job and I feel like she is really dedicated to me as an individual patient, not just another pregnant number. I feel very at peace with her and trust her judgement a great deal.

We are getting SO excited and realize this could happen any time now. Thank you all for the encouragement and well wishes. Your prayers and thoughts are appreciated. I can't believe we are so close to holding our little one!

8 comments:

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

can't wait for you to hold your little girl! What a beautiful miracle! We love you guys!

SSToone said...

It sounds like you really are prepared, I wouldn't have expected anything less from an RN though! Just remember to bring your own pillow - the hospital ones are useless. Cherish the last little bit - it is miserable but you forget what it's like.

Megs said...

90% effaced! Any day now...

Amy Nielson said...

LOVE the slideshow. How fun! I'll have to copy that idea ;)

Oh, and FYI, I'm pretty sure I guessed that tomorrow is the big day, so I'll be thinking about ya and spreading labor dust!! You look great :)

Renee Richins said...

I am so excited for you Tina. I hope all goes well. Try and get some sleep. :)

david and crystal said...

Oh the joys of pregnancy! I can't wait! :) I hope you have her soon! Don't let her get too comfortable in there. Maybe if you poke her more she will want to come out! jk I'm so excited for you and can hardly wait and I'm not even the one having the baby within the next week or two!!!!

Rachael said...

Look how cute you are! I don't intend that to be condescending. When I hit the last month of pregnancy, I look and feel like a beached whale and am so mean and grumpy. I hope little one makes her debut soon. Praying for your family!

Graham said...

Hope you get to meet your little angel soon! Can't wait to see pics! :)