Note: I did not take this picture - I found it online!
In an attempt to find hearty, satisfying and nutritionally balanced foods I have been trying to cook more with rice and lentils. My Mom had this wonderful recipe. It is SO good (especially the onions)! It is relatively easy, it just takes some forethought to remember to soak the lentils and rice. I made it once adhearing strictly to the recipe, then I made it again with some of my Mom's suggestions and preferred her additions. Let me know if you try it and if you like it or not.
Lentils are high in protein and are a great source for iron, contain dietary fiber, folate, and vitamin B1. When mixed with a grain, like rice, it becomes a complete protein (meaning it contains a sufficient amount of all 8 of the essential amino acids that support the human body and biological functions). They are a great source of protein and iron for vegetarians and are a less expensive alternative to meats.
I have to admit I ran into a few challenges in regards to this recipe. Not because of the recipe's difficulty, but because of my sometimes shut-down brain. I was in the grocery store looking for lentils, but I kept thinking I was looking for Legumes. I couldn't find Legumes anywhere and not a single store clerk knew what to direct me to. I kept thinking, hasn't ANYBODY ever heard of Legumes? Then when talking to my mom on the phone I realized my mix-up. The other issue was forgetting to drain the lentils. I had poured most of the water out, but I didn't think I really needed to waste the time and dishes in draining thoroughly...yeah...do you know what happens when water hits hot oil?...It spits like the 4th of July! Luckily I had quick reflexes and feet, just wish my brain could be too...
Palestinian Rice with Lentils and Browned Onions (M'Jaddara)
1 cup (6 oz) lentils, picked over, washed, and drained (I like the green lentils, but they can be harder to find)
2 cups basmati rice, washed in several changes of water and drained
1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium onions (8 oz), peeled, halved lengthwise, and then thinly sliced crosswise (This is the BEST part of the recipe! You cannot have too many, I would even do more the next time I do it.)
1 tsp ground cumin (my mom suggests more and I agree)
freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
4 cups of water (my Mom suggests adding some soup base - like chicken or vegetable, I agree, it adds a little more flavor to the rice and lentils).
- Soak the lentils in water to cover by 3 inches for 3-4 hours. Drain
- Soak the rice in water to cover by 3 inches for 30 minutes. Drain
- Put the oil in a wide, heavy, medium pan or pot and set over med-high heat.
- When hot, put in onions. Stir and fry for about 12 minutes, or until onion is dark brown and crisp. Lower the heat by degrees as they darken. Remove with a slotted spoon and spread on paper towel lined plate.
- Turn heat to med and add drained lentils and rice into remaining onion-flavored oil.
- Add cumin, generous amt of black pepper and the salt.
- Gently saute rice and lentils for 5 minutes
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Cover very tightly, turn the heat down to very low, and cook gently for 25 minutes.
- Fluff rice and lentils and spread on serving plate. Sprinkle the onions on top
(serves 6-8)

1 comment:
This sounds good. We're big on beans around here, but I've never tried lentils. Bree will pick out the onions, but Mason will slurp them up like spaghetti!
Post a Comment