Monday, November 10, 2008

I Made it Monday: Slow-Cooker Cranberry Ribs

My mouth is just watering typing the name of this recipe. This is a recipe you have to think ahead for because the prep time is a little long and so is the cook time...but the reward is SOOOOOOO delicioso!!! I think this is now officially my second favorite dish EVER! The recipe prep time says about 50 minutes (If you are me tack on about 10+ more) and start to finish about 3 hrs 30 min. Dan and I did the prep together last Sunday and it went SO much faster! This is a delicious recipe that I got from Mookie’s Kitchen (Thanks! We love it!) I never would have thought of cranberries and ribs.The nice thing about this recipe is that you can pretty much make it from food in stock or that you can keep on your shelf a while. I didn’t have the cranberry, beef gravy, or cider vinegar before, but they are not a shopping list burden. I wait until there is a great sale on ribs to do this recipe. Using a rib rub was a first for me and I got a little messy, but it was fun. By the way, if you come visit, I promise to make it for you! :O)

Slow Cooker Cranberry Ribs
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp packed brown sugar
3 to 3 ½ lb pork loin back ribs (about 2 racks) (The first time I made this I used boneless spare ribs)
1 can (16 oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 jar or can (12 oz) beef gravy (I used turkey gravy once as well)
2 Tbs cider vinegar
2 Tbs packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (we always add just a little more)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

- Set oven control to broil; heat 15 minutes. Line broiler pan with foil.
- In small bowl, mix cumin, chili powder and 2 tsps brown sugar. Rub evenly over racks of ribs, Place ribs on rack in broiler pan. Broil with tops 4-6 inches from heat 10-15 minutes, turning once, until browned. Cool slightly. Cut into individual ribs (if not already done)
- Place ribs in 3 ½- to 4- quart slow cooker. Reserve half of the cranberry sauce. In medium bowl, mix remaining cranberry sauce and remaining ingredients; pour over ribs.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting 2 hours 30 minutes to 3 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Stir in reserved cranberry sauce; stir from bottom of cooker to coat ribs with sauce. Set cooker to Low heat setting to serve. Ribs will hold on Low heat setting up to 2 hours.

Yum Yum! Enjoy!
PS. I should add that I wait until ribs are on an awesome deal. The Winn-Dixies and Publix supermarkets here once in a while do buy-one-get-one free deals.

2 comments:

Vicky Chicky said...

BOY THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!
Good Job.
Vicky Chicky

Brew Crew said...

Oh! I am so happy you made these. They look delicious. I vote for you to be the next FOOD NETWORK STAR!!!! I miss you. Mook.