Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I TRIED Tuesday

I skipped my usual 'I Made It Monday' because my recent new endeavors were not exactly successful...Hence the 'I TRIED'. Maybe the world of dessert is not for me yet. Or maybe its just the recipes I chose.

Anyway, the most recent fiasco was Sunday dessert. I had a bunch of carrots I had bought for another recipe that I never got to do because it required a pumpkin (not canned) and after Halloween ALL pumpkins disappeared! I don't get it, its still autumn. Pumpkins are not just a Halloween thing people! Anyway, I needed to use them soon and I wanted to try something new. So, I did a search on allrecipes for recipes that use carrots. I found this Carrot Souffle that had GREAT reviews and tips. I gave it a try. I was so excited! The house smelled wonderful! But when I pulled it out of the over (early even), I was quite disappointed. It had burned a little. Then I scooped some up, sprinkled some powdered sugar and Dan and I sat down to enjoy it. I took one bite and was not a fan! It tasted eggy to me. Dan thought it was OK and thought it smelled and tasted like french toast, but he still didn't want to eat it. I was so disappointed.
Attempt number two wasn't an entire failure, but it wasn't used for what it was intended for. I saw a recipe a while back in one of my books that I've always wanted to try. It is a cold blueberry soup. There was an awesome deal on blueberries at the grocery store so I thought this was my chance! It seemed like all was going well until I was supposed to mix cornstarch with water and mix until a thick paste forms. So I did it and never got a thick paste. I tried again, and again with varying amounts of the ingredients and only got a thick paste after a LOT of cornstarch was added. SO, I gave one more shot being VERY careful to to the exact amounts from the recipe and just added it to the recipe with out the thick paste. I added it, however, and the entire soup thickened up...weird. Anyway, it looked like it was going to work out, and it LOOKED and smelled so good. I dished it up for Dan and I and after just a few bites we both agreed it was too sweet and thick to eat alone...so...we used it as an ice cream topper. It was a great topper, though a little more work than I care to put toward my ice cream!

6 comments:

Rachael said...

ooh, but that blueberry soup is so pretty!

Melissa said...

I'm just impressed that you keep trying! I have had some of the same troubles with desserts from scratch...so usually I just use the "just add eggs and water" mixes.

Megs said...

The blueberry soup is gorgeous! The carrot souffle...not so gorgeous. Sorry. I am super impressed that Dan tried it! I've never made a souffle before, but they sound tricky.

Graham said...

I am impressed you tried making a souffle at all...you are so adventurous it looks kinda moldy for some reason in the picture... lol. So I haven't posted any new recipes to my blog lately either for the same reason. My last few have been flops. So you are in good company. But, I agree, your blueberry soup looks awesome.

J said...

I never knew the Bulsons were so into cooking. We were spoiled by TWO of Eric's cheesecakes last weekend. Oh yes, they were sooo yummy.

Brew Crew said...

Tiny, I miss watching our shows together...Food Network and Project Runway. Your food looks great. I love you. Mooks