Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A horrible cold and EXTRA baby ultrasound!

Well, we are OFFICIALLY in the last month! I know I just did a pregnancy update last week, but a few things have happened since then AND there are new pictures!

In my last update I mentioned a mild cold I had caught, but was already on the mend...yeah, it turned out to be a little more than that. Instead of getting better and just being one of those annoying colds that hangs on forever it got worse daily until the weekend (of course I'm always my sickest on the weekends) I started to have such sinus pains that my teeth were hurting, constant headache that the tylenol and tylenol cold approved for me to take were not even close to helping. Also, my eyes were filling with junk and I could NOT sleep! Sunday night I was up literally all night and at about 4 am Dan was helping me and I lost it and started crying - not good when you are already having a hard time with breathing and headaches. I was a mess and in so much pain. I was scared because I was worried about the baby, I was coughing so hard so often my ribs hurt, I was having frequent braxton-hicks, and in so much pain I couldn't sit still. I couldn't understand how with everything I was doing I wasn't getting any better, but worse. I was at my wits end. The only thing that got me through the night was knowing I had a Doctor appointment in the morning. I was just about in tears again when we got in to see my Dr and she said she would get me the "good stuff" and would get me feeling good again in about 48 hours. I got an antibiotic shot of Rocephin to, in her words, "kickstart your immune system" then she gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin. She said these medications do not hurt the baby and that it was better to have me better anyway - I had lost 3 pounds in just this last week.

Within hours I was already feeling an improvement and was able to sleep a little. Last night was the first night I actually slept in several nights, it felt SOOOO good. Today, I am feeling about how I did when I wrote my update last week and feeling hopeful and optimisitc about feeling 100% by Christmas. What a relief!

While at the Doctor office Dr. Graham said that our baby seemed to be measuring a little small and wanted to see if she was head-down yet. So, we got an extra ultrasound. Two weeks ago she said we were done with ultrasounds. So, we got another glimpse of our little baby! It was fun and exciting. She is healthy and very strong, but is only measuring at about 4 pounds 6 ounces! HOW does this baby pack such a punch at only 4lb 6oz! I don't know. And to look at my belly she seems like she is much bigger than that. The doctor came in and said she is required to tell us we have a small baby, but said she wasn't too worried about it because neither Dan or I are big people. The good news is that she is strong and healthy and we might get another ultrasound because they would like to see her grow a little more. We'll just try and keep her in as long as we can and cook her a little more. Technically she would be considered term anytime after December, but we hope we can fatten her up a little more.

Here are the two best pictures we got from the Ultrasound. She's all formed and still a girl. The pictures aren't great. The technician seemed to be rushing through it and obviously wasn't as excited about the surprise ultrasound as we were, but here she is again!

Her profile with a little hand in front of her face


Face on.
Could be a little scary looking, but you can actually see a little baby in there!
I think she looks a little like one of my nephews (Cannon) in this picture.
But who can really tell until she is here, right?

2 comments:

SSToone said...

I understand about being sick while pregnant! You just can't kick it like normal. I was sick twice and one time coughed so much I threw a rib out and was in so much pain until I went to the chiropractor. Extra ultrasounds are nice - I had one either the first or second week I was overdue to check on my amniotic fluid. Some people are really into getting induced for convenience but I am of the opinion that you should keep them in as long as possible (during the 40 weeks) for THEIR benefit. Hope you are 100% quickly so you can enjoy the last month!

emilybolles said...

That doesn't sound like much fun at all! I'm glad you are feeling better and that baby girl is doing good too. I can't imagine you having a 7 or 8 pound baby so I'm sure you doctor is right not to worry too much:0) I had Johnny at 37 weeks and I wasn't expecting that. My advice would be to have your bags packed and ready (don't forget the camera) and the carseat all straped and in the car... and of course take it easy so you can keep her in as long as possible. Good Luck! What an exciting time:0)