Wow! I can't believe it has already been 2 months since Charlie-Marie was born. I think I am still stuck in January. Anytime I have to remember the date I want to say it is January and am blown away to remember it is nearly the end of March! My little baby girl has been growing so much! Today was her 2 month check-up and she weighed 9lbs 3.5oz (10th percentile), head circumference measured 37cm (5-10 percentile), and her height measured 21 3/4 inches (which is actually in the 20th percentile - amazing for a Bulson/Brewer!). She also got her first immunizations today. She did quite well. She only cried out with a mad/hurt cry when the shots were actually being given. Then I nursed her as soon as they were done and she was quite calm. I did quite well too. The only time I felt like I might cry was as I put her in her car seat she gave a little puppy whimper and had the biggest rolled-out-bottom-lip-frown-thing. She had this look like, "How could you do this to me?" (I'm sure that was all in my head though) She fell right to sleep in the car ride home and slept for the next 2 1/2 hours. I did end up giving her some baby tylenol when she woke up because she just didn't seem her normal hungry self. Hungry, yes. Her normal hungry, no. Does that even make sense? I just knew she needed it.
I have loved watching her grow and change. Watching her go from not really looking at anything to following objects and looking into our faces. Watching her grow into an expressive face that changes almost daily. She now can raise her eyebrows and all kinds of things with her nose mouth and eyes she couldn't before. And oh that smile! I LOVE it! Her arms, hands, and fingers have lost some of their out-of-control reflexes/movements and have become slightly more controlled - she can now keep her hands near her mouth if she wants to but still rarely figures out how to keep the fingers in her mouth. She is getting closer. She is able to pull her head up quite well when she is on her tummy or on our shoulders.
As for me in the last 2 months I have been able to fit back into my pre-baby pants (although they are MUCH snugger than before), and I have been riding the breastfeeding roller-coaster. It seems like every time I think I have it figured out I get a little surprise. Everything from blocked milk ducts, to a touch of mastitis, to pain, to figuring out clothing issues, feeding in public, routines that routinely change, Charlie-Marie's preferences, and much more. I do believe breastfeeding is natural, but anyone who says it comes naturally to mother and child is just CRAZY! I can definitely see why many stop, either by choice or no choice of their own, but their body's, and resort to bottles and formula. Fortunately, I have been blessed with good milk, supply, and patience.
I think I have worn all my make-up a total of 2 days in the last 2 months (versus just my concealer and mascara) and typically wear the same 3-4 outfits all the time sometimes because I don't have time or because I just don't have the motivation. It just seems like so much work sometimes to not look like a zombie with dark circles under my eyes, but I am trying. Charlie-Marie is starting to help out by sleeping a little bit more at nights now (2 nights ago she slept 6 hours straight! MIRACLE! Unfortunately I only got 4 - but that is still a record for me), and being a little more content to sit and look at something for a little while.
The only truly negative thing in the last 2 months has been the nightmares. You would think if you were only sleeping a few hours at a time there wouldn't be time to have nightmares, but there is! Awful and very real ones too! Usually they involve some version of someone taking Charlie from me and I try to chase them, but my arms and legs feel like cement and when I shout it only comes out as a whisper. It is the worst feeling in the world to be so helpless. Sometimes my dreams have disturbed me so much I WILL the outcomes to change, but the feeling stays the same. Luckily after a blessing from Dan I have had very few lately. The dreams have trickled down to my real life, however. Any stranger, someone new, or walking past someone on our walks I assume they are after my baby. In my mind it is perfectly logical - she is perfect, beautiful, why wouldn't anyone take her. As a result, I cross streets, hold her close, don't smile, or don't let her out of my sight for a moment. Even when she naps safe at home I consistently check on her. I am working on this paranoia, but for now I happen to like holding her and keeping her close.
Dan has been absolutely amazing! He is a wonderful partner in parenthood and is a great father. He pretty much does all the cooking and cleaning and even tries to do the diapers when he is home. His new schedule of 12 hour days, but only 15 work days a months is AWESOME! I never have to get through more than 3 days without him and we get full days together which has been so helpful and fun. Plus, he gets to see more of Charlie-Marie's development. I love him so much! He is so patient with me and when he tells me I am doing a good job or says he is proud of me it makes me feel so good. He loves his little girl and I love him even more for that!
Well, I have loved being Charlie's mom so far and sometimes when I look at her I am just so filled with an incredible love. I don't know if she will ever know how much I lover her. I think I have a much better appreciation for the love my parents must have and do feel for me. Also, I am grateful because I feel like I have been blessed with a very small glimpse of how much our Heavenly Father loves each of us with a perfect love. It is incredible!
7 comments:
She is so beautiful and I LOVE that last picture where she's sticking out her tongue!!! It sounds like everything is wonderful :)
Tina! What can I say? My heart just melts over and over again when I hear your loving words and see the beautiful pictures you post. What a wonderful little family! Good job and good job to Dan! Sounds like you are both working hard! David says Charlie looks just like Dan. We think she is so adorable! Can't wait to see you soon!
She's so cute! I can't wait to meet her in person. Hang in there with the breastfeeding, it sounds like you are doing great! It just continues to get easier and easier. The first couple of months are by far the hardest.
spoken like a true mom! You're a MOM!!!! And breastfeeding... I feel exactly the same way! Loving the cloth diapers!!! Your daughter is beautiful. (you guys are too!) Hope she starts giving you more chunks of sleep...just remember this time is fleeting. I keep telling myself that :)
My youngest loved looking at the pictures of your beebee. She laughed at the ones with her tongue sticking out. So fun.
Thanks for sharing your experience so far... I loved reading it! Parenthood is quite a ride isn't it? And it gets better and better as your kids get older... there are always new milestones to look forward to. Judging by the beach pictures you look beautiful so I wouldn't stress too much over that :) Hope you continue to enjoy your days with Charlie-Marie and I hope your nights continue to get better. (and I love the new look of your blog!)
She is gorgeous Tina! Let's see some more updates :) And give us future mammas some hope that there is life after birth...??
Post a Comment