Friday, April 23, 2010

Yes, there is life after birth...just different...

I got a comment from a friend asking for an update to comfort future mothers that there is life after birth.  I laughed when I saw that and realized just how much time had slipped by since my last update.  That is one thing about life after birth...it FLIES BY!!!  Time is filled with feedings, eating, sleeping, caring for and playing with baby, and slowly I am introducing more activities like getting out for walks, going on outings, starting up housework and cooking (still working on that), and it seems that the lowest priority these days is getting online and checking emails/blogs/facebook and what have you.  I have to admit that I did not expect the sleep deprivation and repetitive schedule to last as long as it has and I found that I COULD do and squeeze in whatever I wanted into a day, but often doing too much has consequences...such as wiping me out, wiping out baby, baby doesn't nap and has melt down, mommy doesn't nap and has melt down, feedings get shorter and more frequent (makes going out harder), and more.  BUT, each week that goes by there is a new development as Charlie-Marie grows.  She has started sleeping longer through the nights - the record being 7.5 hours at one time, and usually around 4-6 hours through the night.  Those few extra hours have done WONDERS for baby and my energy level.  Also, she LOVES to be outdoors and loves to see knew things and people which is great when I am out.

I cannot believe how much Charlie-Marie has grown, strengthened and developed over the last month.  Some of her developments (especially with her head and leg strength to mostly hold her own head, and stand up with assistance happened literally in a matter of days!).  Wednesday she was exactly 3 months old and I am both happy and sad to say that everyday she is looking less and less like a newborn.  I have put away all of her newborn clothes now and that was a little sad, but so happy knowing she is growing and developing so well.

Another reason for the blog drought was our recent trip back to Washington to visit family and friends.  The time flew by and I didn't get to see everyone I had hoped, but it was so nice to see those that I could.  It was fun to introduce Charlie to Aunt "V" and uncles on my side (she really took to all three).  She also got to meet and loved Aunt Brandi from Dan's side and 2 of her cousins.  The entire trip was a blast!  It was so sad to go home, sometimes I feel guilty to take Charlie-Marie so far away from family.  Nevertheless, I know our family is where it should be right now and it is nice to be home and trying to establish a routine again.

I will most likely post more on our trip, but here are a few pictures in the meantime.

5 comments:

mel nielson said...

Thanks for the update... I too have been waiting for one :) I'm glad things are going well for the three of you :) You guys look great!

David said...

oh, we miss her so much~ we are glad you are home safely. we love you guys! I am somehow signed into David's account. But, this is Brandi! Love you

J said...

She really has grown. I love your new background and that picture slide show. How fun!!

Sarah said...

spoken like a true new mom :) I remember a friend asking me what I did all day with a newborn (I had just had Carson and she was due in a few weeks). I looked at her and said "I don't really know, but I'm busy and exhausted!" She didn't think it was true, but quickly learned. It will get easier and harder all at the same time! At least she's cute to look at right?

Graham said...

yeah, it's hard not living close to family, not only on them, but on you! It was so nice to live by Graham's family in TX where we always had helping hands if we needed a break, but like you said, it's also nice to venture out on your own. Hopefully you'll move closer to home eventually. :) She is a cutie... and it does get easier, especially when they start sleeping 10 hours or more at night. :)

lol. So sorry this is so long, but guess what happened to me on Sunday... so I am the Primary secretary and we had no nursery and were missing a bunch of teachers. I took Gavin and Char into the mothers' lounge and tried to change the wrong kid! I had just changed Gavin like 20 minutes earlier and I was supposed to be changing Charlotte! I was a little confused why he REFUSED to lay down! lol. See, so it's not just new mommys that have issues with mommy brain. :)