Sunday, May 30, 2010

Carrot is King!

I have recently been amazed by a certain little vegetable...the carrot.   There is a woman at church that often repeats the phrase "Carrot is King...of the vegetable world".  This particular woman makes carrot juice every morning.  She has become a friend since we moved back here in September.  She has been in many ways a mother figure to me.  We have worked together to put activities on for church.  And when I was pregnant she would bring me carrot juice, smoothies, and other healthy soups and such.  Now, I have always known carrots were good for you, but I learned a little bit more about some of their benefits recently as we did an activity at church with a carrot and health theme.  My friend did an amazing demonstration and part of it included making carrot juice.  In preparation for the activity I did some research on carrots and these are a few of the amazing things I learned.

Health Benefits of Carrots  
Most of the benefits of carrot can be attributed to its beta carotene and fiber content.  It is also a good source of antioxidant agents and are rich in vitamins A,C,K,and potassium.
Reduces cholesterol
Helps prevent heart attacks and heart disease
Linked to reducing the risk of several cancers (notably lung cancer) due to the beta carotene
Lowers risk of macular degeneration
Improves eyesight 
A carrot a day reduces stroke risk by 68%.  Also, studies show that stroke patients with higher levels of beta carotene have the best survival rates
Carrot is good for blood sugar regulation.  Good for diabetics.
Makes the skin softer, smoother, and firmer 
Carrot oil is good for dry skin.    
Carrot juice improves stomach and gastrointestinal health. 
-  Carrot juice allows you to get as many as 10 carrots and their nutrients into one serving.

So go get yourself a carrot, enjoy the tasty crunch or make the juice and know the good it is doing for your body! 

4 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

Awesome!!!

I read the other day that a diet HIGH in beta carotene can also give your skin a "vegi glow." hahahaha I was an orange (pumpkin) baby, but I never thought to do it on PURPOSE. LOL

SSToone said...

They really are good for you, I guess that's why they have that beauty product line called "Yes to Carrots".

Unfortunately, carrots came back as a moderate allergy for me on my IgG4 test. I do have them occasionally though but I have to space it out.

Queen Mimi said...

I never knew carrots were so powerful! So, do you have a recipe for the juice or should I simply shove one into a food processor/blender?

Tina said...

Well, she has a pretty amazing juicer that actually takes all the pulp out, leaving you with a milk-smooth juice. It is JUST carrots. But she also puts advocados in sometimes, or adds spinach.