Monday, November 3, 2008

I Made it Monday: Breakfast Cookies!

I know...cookies for breakfast? But these I have to say work pretty well for a breakfast on the go. I actually prefer them over cereal or some other weak breakfast foods. My body is FINALLY learning that breakfast IS important and I can't just eat a piece of bread and go anymore. I don't know that nutrition wise they are the very best, but they do provide some protein and dairy. They give me lots to run on. The strange thing about these cookies is that 2 ingredients include cheese and crumbled bacon...bacon & cheese in a cookies...IT WORKS! I also tried them this morning with craisens added and I loved it. Dan says these cookies have grown on him, but I have liked them from the start. Once again, most of the ingredients I usually have in stock. Sometimes they turn out great and very moist and other times still good, but not as moist. I don't know what makes the difference. Any help?

Breakfast Cookies
1/3 Cup butter or margarine (stick with butter – its better for you)
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp vanilla
½ Cup flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ Cup quick-cooking oatmeal
½ Cup cheese, grated
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Optional: Craisens

Cream the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt; stir into creamed mixture. Beat in oatmeal, cheese, and crumbled bacon. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350° F for 7-10 min or until lightly browned.
makes about 12 cookies – depending on how big or small you want them)

3 comments:

Graham said...

Wow! that has GOT to be the WEIRDEST cookie I have ever heard of... but now I am intrigued! I must try them!

Megs said...

Um, wierd. I might try making these, but since Chad is the breakfast problem child, and he thought these sounded gross, I may not be successful! I found a couple hints online for a moister cookie. If too crunchy: add an egg yolk. If too dry and crumbly: add an egg and decrease the flour. Hope that helps!

J said...

Were you trying to be punny with the whole "stick with butter" comment?