Thursday, November 6, 2008

Two New!

So two new things have happened here in the last week.

ONE: I got a job!!! Finally. Despite the nursing shortage across the country nobody here wants to spend the time and money on training a new nurse...so my job is about a 50 minute drive (give or take a little depending on lights). It seems that I am forever doomed to long commutes. Anyway, despite the distance I am very excited about this job. It is on a small pediatric unit - only 8 beds! It is a cute and cozy unit that sees alot, but if anything really critical comes our way we stabilize them and send them on to Pensacola. I don't think I mind that. Since it is a small unit there are times when the pediatric nurses will float to other units, such as post-partum to help take care of babies, sometimes the ER to help admit a child, and other times on the adult med-surg floor (so I'll be trained to care for adults too!) It's great because it is a little bit of everything...and I LOVE that! The hospital is very small, but everyone seems so kind and very professional and knowledgeable. I am excited to keep learning.

TWO: We bought a brand new car! It is a 2008 Chevy Cobalt. And let me tell you we got a steal!!! Partly due to my generous Grandpa's family discount (He worked for GM for years!) and partly because it was the last day of the month AND the last hour and they were DESPERATE to get in ONE more sale to try and keep the top dealership ranking in the area. They actually lost a little bit of money in the process, but the bonus they will get from being the top dealership will make up for it I'm sure. Our sales guy was the best car salesman I've ever seen. He was very knowledgeable, but not pushy. He let us talk it out and never made us feel in anyway that we were rushing or making a mistake. The financing guy on the other hand...well, lets just say he tried to hoodwink us as first time buyers and for a first time loan. But we would have none of that. He actually lied to Dan about the interest rate and didn't explain some very pertinent info. Luckily we looked closely at the forms we were signing and had the feeling something wasn't quite right. So, we financed through a credit union and got a 100% better deal and our car salesman took over so we wouldn't have to deal with the financing guy anymore. The car is a great little car. AWESOME gas mileage, and everything we wanted. The color is not my first choice (I probably would have chosen something like 'Victory Red' or 'Jet Black') but Gold Sand isn't all that bad...especially for the price we got it! Plus, supposedly this color reflects heat more so it actually keeps the car a little cooler - which will be nice here. Anyway, we're excited and now we don't have to juggle only one car.

10 comments:

Megs said...

How exciting! You guys are so smart--we didn't get nearly as good a deal on our first car. And I'm jealous of that new car smell!

DaeSung said...

Hmmm... Chris is jealous... he wants so bad to buy a new car... for some reason the cheapness of his parents rubbed off on him just a little too much and we drive a used car still... Chris likes cars sooooo much and wants to get a nice car... but he manages with his little little car, you know the kind you can only get away with driving in a overcrowded asian country... Anyhow, sounds great. Good luck on the job, and have fun with the new car ^^

gretchen said...

Yay!!!!!! Congrats on the new job! And good for you on the new car and good deal! I remember those good ol' days of sharing a car. Of course, Daniel's Chaffin blood makes it IMPOSSIBLE for him not to get a good deal, you know. ;o)

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

love you. love your guts. love your new job. love your new car. I didn't understand your comment were you offended by my post? anyways, if you were....sorry! love you guys!
sis

J said...

Congrats on the job. Nice car!!

Nate and Marcie said...

Congrats on both! I love new cars, the smell, the feel, the newness!

S said...

Congrats on the new job! That's so exciting! Creepy car dealers are so creepy, good thing you guys were smarter than him. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only 13 year old girl trapped in a 26 year old body and are excited for Twilight too!

Brew Crew said...

Nice Ride! I see that the bumper is attached. Love you both. Mooks

Rachel said...

congrats! what a cute little car! We need another car too! Jeff takes are only 1 to work and i sit at home with no errands to run; then have to do them when he comes home! ... sigh... but we make it work! but I soon hope to be like you and again have my own little car!

Melissa said...

Congratulations on the new car and especially on the job! That's so exciting! It sounds like a perfect match for you (besides the commute :)