We stayed the first night in Baton Rouge, Loisianna and went to a Cajun Restauraunt. It was so fun. They had a live cajun band and people got up in the center and danced. I think I had a misconception of just what cajun was until this place. I didn't realize the accordian was a bit part of the culture. We decided we wanted to try something VERY different. So, Dan ordered the fried alligator and I the grilled frogs legs. I know - weird, and kind of creepy, but surprisingly yummy! I don't think I'd go jumping to eat frog legs again (I just realized I wrote jumping and frog in the same sentence - it was not intentional, but kind of funny - helps to make my point). There is just something mentally unsettling about it - I don't know why, I eat chicken drumsticks. Dan says its all mental. Anyway, it was good and tasted like a mix of chicken with a slight fish texture. That may sound gross, but it was good. (excuse the phone camera quality - you get the idea)

The next day we drove into Texas and w welcomed by a torrential rainstorm. It was raining so hard you couldn't see 15 feet ahead. The entire 70 mph highway came to almost a complete stop. I thought the rain was going to actually break my windshield. It only took minutes and the median and highway exits were already flooded with almost a foot of water - CRAZY and scary. But the craziest part of it all was driving out of it to blue skys about 30 minutes later.
That night we spent a great night at a very nice hotel (thanks to Dan's work - but we still got a great bargain from priceline.com) in San Antonio. We ate at another very fun restauraunt. It was a mexican restauraunt that from the outside looked like a castle and inside like a little old mexican village - a stary night sky and all.
So, here we are. We stayed one night on the base at an inn and moved into our apartment the next morning. Texas is a very interesting place so far. I've never spent anytime outside of an airport here and I'm beginning to understand the phrase "rugged beauty". I wouldn't say Texas is beautiful and yet it isn't ugly. But I really shouldn't sum up all of Texas with what I've seen since Texas is HUGE and has all sorts of terrain. ANYWAY, the best part has been the sunsets. INCREDIBLE! I don't know what it is about the sky here but it looks and feels different.
San Angelo itself is quite a decent sized town. It has a population just under 90,000 people. There is a small mall and a University so there is plenty of stores, restauraunts, and such - but if you stray from town there is NOTHING but tiny towns, farms, and tumbleweeds for hours! It is a strange feeling to be in this sort of bubble.
Well, we are excited for the next 7 months here and all it holds. We'll update you on jobs and such as they come. I'll also video the apartment (MUCH BIGGER than the last one) and post for those you care to see it.
7 comments:
What a fun move! It must be hard to leave those beautiful beaches... but nice to experience something new knowing you'll get to go back to paradise soon! Good Luck with all of the settling in and job hunting:0)
Does this new move means you are going to have to change your blog background now?
What an adventure you guys are having! That does sound like a strange (in a nice way) move; packing is definitely not on my list of favorite things.
I'm glad you guys had a good holiday. I know it was your first one away from families (besides your missions) so I'm glad that you had fun and incorporated traditions with your own thing.
aaron served his mission in texas.
loved it but doesn't ever want to live there again.
enjoy the bbq and good mexican food!!
Wow. You guys have been across the entire country, and then halfway back again! Holy Cow. We missed you guys so much at Christmas. Hopefully we can meet up soon. WE love you.
Brandi, David, Lincoln, and Henry
What an adventure!!
First of all: LUCKY! It must have been super nice not to have to move everything yourselves. I also loved reading about your travels! The Moor-ish architechture story...it must have been a breathtaking setting for dining! :)
Post a Comment