Monday, February 2, 2009

I Made it Monday: Spicy Mango Sweet Potato Chicken

I discovered this recipe on allrecipes when I was searching what I could do with a mango I had bought. It takes about 30 minutes to prepare if you are great in the kitchen and about 40-45 mintues if you are me - especially for a first try. It cooks in about 20 minutes, makes about 5 servings, and the taste is WONDERFUL!!!

Dan and I had this over Vanilla rice, but thought it would be good over brown rice as well. The recipe recommended serving over some kind of noodles.

I will definitely make this again, I may add a little more mango or honey, however, to add just a tad more sweetness. Dan thought it was just fine. And I may try cooking this in my WOK next time.

Spicy Mango Sweet Potato Chicken
2 Cups cubed, peeled sweet potato
2 Tbs vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast - cubed
1 clove garlic, minced
6 Tbs Tamari soy sauce (I am not a soy sauce connoisseur and until someone can show me the REAL necessity of choosing a specific soy sauce I will use what I have.)
3/4 Cup water
3 Tbs honey
3 Tbs hot sauce, or to taste - the more the spicier
1 ripe mango, peeled and cubed (see video tips at the end of the post) 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes - this really adds to the spiciness, if you don't want it very spicy leave these out or use less!
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbs warm water

- Place the sweet potatoes into a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover. Simmer over medium high heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbs oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes. Set aside
- Stir garlic into the skillet, and cook for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Pour Soy sauce, 3/4 cup of water, honey, and hot sauce in with the garlic.
- Bring to a simmer, then stir in the sweet potato, chicken, mango, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until hot.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 Tbs of water, and stir into the simmering mixture; stir until thickened.

ENJOY!!!
I forgot to take a picture so here it the allrecipes version:

This video is pretty good to share quickly how to pick and cut a mango. My only suggestion is not to hold the mango while slicing like the video does.

1 comment:

Jena said...

Tina. Seriously. You are such a gourmet chef! It's making me hungry!