Monday, February 2, 2009

San Angelo Allergens

Little did I know when I picked this current blog background for our "Texas Time" how fitting it would be. I picked this one, with the picture of the dandelion seeds blowing in the wind to represent how Dan and I ended up in Texas and how we are just flowing with the wind from one adventure to the next. NOW, I see much more to this picture and its representation of our stay here in Texas.

I have had allergies all my life. It is so annoying, but most of the time I can live with it. I think I have tried just about every allergy medication known to man. Most of the time they help me cope, but if there is ever a spike I am pretty miserable for a while. I am just coming off of the worst allergy attack I have ever had. It has left me with a raw throat and no voice.

Friday night Dan woke up at about 3:30 am to find me awake. He knew it wasn't my typical insomnia when he found me on the computer with tears of a crazed sleep-deprived woman with a squawking and scratchy voice. I could not sleep my throat hurt so bad and my allergies were so awful I could hardly breathe (and the crying didn't help). I was on the computer desperate to find a doctor available on Saturdays. Dan made me a cup of hot tea and gave me a blessing and rigged up a pile of pillows to sleep propped up. Luckily, I was able to sleep through the next several hours on and off.

As soon as 8 am rolled around I started making phone calls, but NO doctor was willing to take a new patient on a Saturday. Finally, Dan helped me find a first-come-first-serve clinic. It had a 2 1/2 hour wait, but I was willing to do ANYTHING at this point. I was like a walking, sniffing, squawking zombie. FINALLY, I made it in to see the doctor. And he taught me that there is a certain type of pollen unique to this area in Texas that is pretty powerful and is the cause of a lot of misery for many people. (I had noticed that along with the local weather report they give pollen levels and reports in San Angelo - at first I thought it was just funny...not so much now).

With all the allergy meds I've taken I was doubtful he could suggest anything new, but he introduced me to the idea of a cortisone shot. At first I was not keen on the idea, but as I swallowed I remembered I would do ANYTHING, even get a shot in my gluteus maximus. It didn't take long for the effects to start and in addition to loading me up with prescribed allergy pills and nasal spray I am on the mend. I am still working on getting my voice back, but that will come.

So, that is the story of how my blog background has gained new meaning!

12 comments:

Jenn H. said...

I am sorry Tina. That is no fun, but I am glad that you are starting to feel better. I wish for your sake that the background only had your original meaning!

Melissa said...

I'm sorry Tina! That sounds miserable. I hope you continue to feel better.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Allergies are the worst! Just as you are getting used to one place, you move and get a whole new set of allergens!

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry. :-p

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness. I TOTALLY can sympathize. I had allergies super bad all growing up and for all 4 years of high school I had allergy shots. They only worked well enough that the allergy medication became effective. Then I moved to Hawaii. I was so excited I didn't have allergies there, but after 3 years they started again. Now I am back in Washington and the shots seem to have worn off. I use a Neti Pot though, and it helps a lot, and it is a lot cheaper than shots and medications!

emilybolles said...

You poor thing! I am so sorry. I remember my first case of allergies was in Utah... the time of year when all of the cotton is floating in the air.. I was miserable! But I don't think I was nearly as miserable as you! It sounds like Dan is taking good care of you though! Hope you're feeling better by now:)

Maria said...

Allergies SUCK! So sorry, hope you feel better fast!

SP said...

SOunds yucky. Eat lots of local honey...they say the pollins in it helps you get used to the allergens...

Jena said...

1. NO fun!
2. What a sweet husband you have!
3. I'm so glad you've found something to help...

Megs said...

I am a fellow allergy sufferer. I can't remember the last time I breathed freely...Since allergy meds only take the edge off anyway, my most recent thing is using a saline nasal wash after exposure to allergens, and cayenne pepper in my food and as a snuff (sounds crazy, but it helps!).

See Mack Snow said...

I feel like a jerk saying this because I've never been allergic to anything before (knock on wood), but I'm sorry you were feeling so bad! I hope you're all better now!