Monday, April 20, 2009

I Made it Monday: Coconut Curry Chicken

This has been one of our favorite recipes for a few years now. I have cooked this on the stove AND in the wok (which is much faster). It is basically very easy - what makes it a little more complicated is the time (which I rarely use the entire time they say - I just cook till the chicken and then veggies are done.) and also how many veggies (if any) you use. In other words how much do you have to cut up and how fast do you cut?

We serve this with plenty of rice. It is so good and the coconut gives it a very refreshing taste and cuts any sharp spiciness of the curry. For some reason it never really turns out the exact same color - I don't know if it is different brands of canned tomatoes or what kind of veggies I put in. NEVERTHELESS, this is a dish that we are always happy and satisfied with and usually cook when we are in the mood for something different but don't want to go out to eat.

Coconut Curry Chicken:
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch chunks or small bite sized pieces.
1 tsp salt and pepper, or to taste
1 1/2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs curry powder
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 oz) can of coconut milk
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed, diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
3 Tbs sugar

- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper (I usually forget this step and have to add it later)
- Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over med-high heat for two minutes (mixing the powder into the oil).
- Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 1 minute more
- Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
- Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan (DON'T forget the sugar!) and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30-40 minutes. ( I usually let is simmer 15-20 minutes then I start adding veggies (the ones that need the longest cooking to the least.). Some of the veggies we like to use are green beans, mushrooms, spinach, brussel sprouts cut up, squash or zucchini, and anything else you want!)We put leftovers the next night in pitas! It was yummy all over again!

2 comments:

gbulson said...

I am going to make this. I wasn't sure if I wanted to until I read the last item, "3 Tbs of sugar.

Anything with 3 tubs of sugar is going to be awesome!

Jena said...

This looks amazing...I should really eat breakfast now :)