Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Send Me To Nursery!

This title is what some invisible sign over my head must say. This last Sunday Dan and I had just sat down in Sunday school when a frantic looking woman rushed in, took one scan of the room, then came straight to me and asked if I could come help in Nursery today. One leader had just moved, the other home sick. There was only one original leader in the room with the kids.
Part of me wanted to say, "No way Jose!", but I guess I'm just too nice for that. My experience in Nursery is that when it is "good it is very, very good; but when it is bad it is horrid!". I nervously followed the woman into the nursery room and actually took a step back toward the door when I saw 18 little toddlers! 18! That's insanity! LUCKILY, a couple of the parents stayed. It actually was not too bad. The one leader had a lot planned and was very good at moving the kids from one activity to the next - I never once looked at my watch. One activity was bubbles. A couple of adults blew bubbles and the kids went bizerk trying to pop them all. I was sitting on the floor watching when I saw one little boy get SO excited trying to pop some bubbles he threw his arm right back into a little girl's face. There was a little shriek of pain then the saddest face I think I've ever seen and one HUGE tear start to roll down the little girls cheek. She looked around the room, looking for... Mom? Dad?...no luck. Then she saw me and decided I would have to do. She ran to me and her little soft arms wrapped all the way around my neck so tight and she buried her face in my neck and cried. It felt like she just melted right into me - no fear that she had no idea who I was. At the same time I felt like I just melted inside. I sat and held her and rocked her. That was the highlight of my day.

4 comments:

Jena said...

what a cute story! thanks for the albertson's advice, we'll have to give it more than one shot, eh? :) Have a great day!

LunaMoonbeam said...

Aww...you're a good woman. What a sweet story!

Rachael said...

Those are good times in nursery. I love those cuddles.

re: the foccacia bread. We eat this with soups or pasta dishes, or sometimes just because and dip it in some marinara. It also makes great last minute pizza crusts. Just pre-bake it for 5-10 before putting on the toppings.

Mojo said...

Tina!
I'm in the primary now and as the chorister and I go in every Sunday to sing songs with the kids and you're right, it is either a terrible day or a really good day.