Monday, March 30, 2009

I Made it Monday: Twice-baked potatoes

I recently started subscribing to a free cooking magazine from kraftfoods.com (which is now available online). I haven't been very motivated to try many until I saw this recipe for twice-baked potatoes - which I LOVE!
The thing I did differently is that I baked the potatoes and made the mixture and stuffed the potatoes, then I topped with cheese, and stuck them in a freezer bag. Then the next week I pulled some out the night before we wanted to eat them and in the morning I drained some of the water from thawing, then when I got home from work I baked them. They might not have been as great as totally fresh potatoes, but they were pretty darn good and took little effort the day off...
Twice-Baked Potatoes
4 baking potatoes (1 1/4 lb)
1/4 cup Kraft Ranch Dressing with Bacon (which is good on salad too, so you don't have to buy it just for this recipe)
1/4 cup Sour Cream
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives (I couldn't find any at the store so I just used chopped green onions)
1/4 lb (4 oz) Velveeta cut into 1/2-inch cubes) - I just used regular cheddar cheese and some Pepper-Jack cheese on top of the potatoes.

- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prick potatoes in several places with fork. Bake 1 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Cut off thin slice from top of each potato (I had pretty big potatoes so I just cut them in half) discard tops; scoop out centers, leaving 1/8 inch thick shells.
- Mash potatoes. Add dressing, sour cream and chives; mash until fluffy.
- Spoon into shells; top with cheese.
- Place in shallow baking dish. Bake 20 min or until heated through.

No comments: