Sunday, March 29, 2009

Local Tourists

Dan and I try to do something almost every weekend to explore the area we live in. We are not here for long, so we try to take advantage of it while we are. We have had some fun, but perhaps one of the funniest experiences was riding a tour trolley around downtown historical San Angelo. The tour was free, but unfortunately the person giving the tour was not there, but the driver offered to take Dan and I around anyway. We thought that was pretty nice of him. We got on the trolley, ready and excited to learn about the city we live in. Instead, we had the most pessimistic and critical tour guide. These were some of the comments we heard:

"This is the courthouse - it's so old. Hope you never have to go there. They might as well pour dirt over the dump"
"This is supposedly one of the first hotels Hilton started - I don't believe it though. Why would anyone want a Hilton built here? Plus it's a dump, they might as well pour dirt over the place."
"This is some old cafe that used to be a trading post or something lik that - but the food is awful"
"You are really going to hate the summers here - they are so hot, you'll never want to go out."
"I can't wait to get out of this dump. I retire in a year and it can't get me out of here any sooner"
"There's a lot of drunks and meth users I pick up on this trolley, because no one else is riding it and I can actually get them places they need to go."
"There's just a bunch of old stuff here they call historical, but it's all just a bunch of old run down buildings. They might as well pour dirt over the place."

Dan and I could hardly keep from laughing and tried not to look at each other as we got, perhaps the most unique tour of San Angelo ever. He did get surprisingly and suddenly positive when he told us his son was stationed in Salt Lake City, Utah.

"I tell you, those mormons have a great secret tucked away there - that place is beautiful! The mountains and everything are just great. Now that's a city worth going to. I'd go there any day. Plus the people are just so nice - I didn't think they were all crazy relegious people. I thought they were pretty great people - nice as could be. Didn't have any problems with em'. "

"Oh, This is the Concho River and it smells like crap"

5 comments:

Graham said...

Wow, that guy was crazy!

SSToone said...

Tina, thanks for posting this! This is quite a gem of the blogging world. I read this aloud to my husband and we had such a laugh, everyone should read this! It is great! Sounds like that guy wants to pour dirt over all of San Angelo! Your last line was priceless!

Megs said...

I laughed so hard at this! Thanks for a great story!

Blackberry Bratt said...

Too funny...I would have loved to be witness to that! I'm glad you are enjoying life and all the little details that make it what it is. I read your post about why you love your job...and it made me smile because I think that might be why you liked/loved your mission too?

Tara Ethington said...

HAHAHAHA! Stephanie Toone sent me a link to this post because my family and I are moving to San Angelo for a few months. That tour sounds totally hilarious and I'm glad I won't be going into town with too high of expectations. Hahahaha....thanks for the post!