Monday, March 2, 2009

I Made it Monday: Pot Roast

I attempted my first pot roast last Sunday. I'd never made one before because I guess I always thought is was difficult, AND I didn't know much about meat cuts, OR what kind to use, OR what prices were good, etc. Also, I remember eating roast growing up that seemed like a hit and miss - sometimes they were juicy and sometimes they were really dry.

Recently, Dan was reminiscing about pot roast at his house growing up so I thought I'd give it a try. I watched the grocery ads for a while and compared different meat prices. WalMart had a sale last week - 7 lb pork butt/shoulder (which I don't understand) for $7.00 so I bought it. I divided the meat into smaller parts and I pulled out a cook book I haven't used yet called One-Dish recipes and Secrets of Slow Cooking and found and adapted a good recipe...

IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!
The meat practically melted in our mouths! I will definitely do this recipe again!

Sorry no pictures, we had a guest and I felt kind of funny taking a picture of our food while he was there, and it just didn't look the same after we dug in!

Slow-Cooked Pot Roast
1 tbs oil
1 beef brisket (3-4 lbs)
1 tbs garlic powder, divided
1 tbs salt, divided
1 tbs pepper, divided
1 tbs paprika, divided (I didn't have this so I combined just a tiny bit of chili powder and some cumin)
5-6 potatoes, quartered
4-5 medium onions, sliced
1 lb carrots
1 can (14 1/2 oz) beef broth

- Heat 1 tbs oil on high in slow cooker or large pan. Brown brisket on all sides. Remove brisket to plate. ( I guess this step is to try and lock in some of the moisture?)
- Season with 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp paprika; set aside
- Season potatoes with remaining garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika. Add potatoes and onions to slow cooker or large pan. Cook on high, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add potatoes and onions to crockpot. Return brisket to slow cooker. Add carrots and broth. Cover; cook on HIGH 4-5 hours or on LOW 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.

- Gravy: combine juices after cooking with flour in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Tina,
The pork butt/shoulder is what you use to make Kalua pork in the crock pot! We do it all the time when we have guests because it is so easy and good. You just get a chunk of pork butt (6 lbs), stab it with a fork all over, rub it down with 1 1/2 tbsp of Hawaiian Sea Salt (it is a red salt. i had to buy it online, but you may find it at a store there since Texas is more "ethnic") and then rub it down with 1 tbsp of liquid smoke (you buy it at any grocery store. it is usually near the BBQ sauce.) Then you just turn on the crock pot. you don't add any liquid or anything. We leave it in for 12-18 hours and then during the last hour we cut up some cabbage and stir it in. It is soooo good! I'll have to try your way with some other vegetables. It sounds good!
Leslie

Megs said...

I recently made crock-pot roast, and as we were eating it, I though it was the most tender yummiest roast I'd ever made. I knew it was a different type of roast than I usually buy, but when I tried to dig to the bottom of the trash to find the wrapper, I couldn't. Now I'll have to start all over to find my favorite cut of roast. I usually just throw all the meat and veggies in the crock-pot with no prep, sprinkle the seasonings on the top, and add a little beef broth. Love it!