Sunday I received a new calling at church as the 2nd counselor of the Relief Society. The relief society is the womens organization at church and the leadership consists of a President, 2 counselors, and a secretary - along with other committees and callings that assist. I am very excited. I've taught in relief society on Sundays, but never really known what goes on organizationally. Well, this week I've gotten to opportunity to really jump into my calling as a sweet older Sister in our Branch suddenly passed away and the President was out of town for the first few days, the 1st counselor also out of town, and the Secretary's son having surgery. It's been an adventure to say the least, but I'm happy to be able to serve this sweet woman and help maker her Memorial this Sunday a special one.
She was actually the very first person I met at church last year. We hadn't been in Destin 2 days and the missionaries invited me to the Relief Society Activity that night. I hesitantly walked in not knowing anyone. One woman with white hair and the sweetest disposition came over with a covered stroller. She was nicely dressed in a light pink sweater and had a pin/broach that said "Tina". With her sweet southern belle accent she introduced herself as Clementine, but that everyone calls her Tina (pronounced T-eye-nah). She was thrilled to know I spelled my name the same way. She than introduced me to her little dog (which was in the covered stroller - she took that dog EVERYWHERE. It was a regular attendant of all 3 hours of church.). Then began introducing me to the other sisters in the branch. She was the sweetest woman that didn't care about generation gaps or differences, and though she had the most perfect manners, she never judged anyone who might be lacking or a little rough around the edges. She was what I always imagined as a lady and gentile Southern Belle. She was always smiling and serving. She was 81 years old and held a full time job up until about a year ago. I am sad I only knew her for a short time, but I'm glad I had the privilege to meet her.
2 comments:
Tiny, I had this calling Nebraska, and loved it! Your first week makes me giggle because it sounds a lot like mine. Before I knew it our rS PRes was out of town, and I was int he Bishop's office helping to plan a memorial service! You will be wonderful!
Tina with the dog in the stroller sounds like someone I would have loved to know. I am so glad you got to meet her.
Post a Comment