SO, I have been thinking lately. I have decided that I LOVE pomegranate, but I have no idea what to do with it. I only see it in stores this time of year and Dan and I usually just eat it in raw spoonfuls from a bowl or we put them in fried won tons with some chocolate (remember THIS?). I was going to look up different ideas about how to use them but decided it would be SO much more fun to try a BLOG CHEF CHALLENGE!!! So, here it is for anyone who will or wants to participate! For those cooks/chefs/and anyone who likes a good competition/challenge. You could even do it for a family activity!
AND THERE IS A PRIZE FOR THE WINNER!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your challenge (should you choose to accept it), is to use the ingredient chosen by the judges (ME and DAN) in a dish of your choosing such as a dessert, appetizer, or main course item. Be sure to include the recipe and a picture!

The Ingredient is the pomegranate. "A pomegranate is a fruit-bearing deciduousshrub or small tree growing to between five and eight meters tall...The edible fruit is a berry and is between a lemon and a grapefruit in size, 5–12 cm in diameter with a rounded hexagonal shape, and has thick reddish skin and around 600 seeds.[5] The seeds and surrounding pulp, ranging in color from white to deep red, are called arils. " - Wikipedia
here are tips to getting those seeds out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHyqoeB0Wlk
Time: You will have until December 13th at midnight to either post your effort on your blog (in which case be sure to comment on my blog you are doing so) - OR - email it to me - gidget278@comcast.net for those of you who do not blog. The winner(s) will be announced on December 14th.
The Judgment: You will be JUDGED on...well, lets face it, I can't taste it - so I'll have to take your honest word on how it turns out...creativity/originality, whether or not you include a picture, and basically whatever looks good and yummy to Dan and I.
The Winnings: The winner(s) - in case we can't decide - will receive a special prize yet to be determined - but I'm sure will be worth the effort!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no idea if anyone will participate, but I really hope you do!!! I know it is a busy time of the year so I am giving almost 2 weeks for people to be able to participate. Please do it! It will be so fun!
7 comments:
What a fun idea!! hmm... we will have to see what I can think of!
What a great idea! I love to try new things...we'll have to let you know if we come up with anything worth blogging about!
does it have to be something we come up with on our own.... or can it be an exsisting recipe? I have an awesome dish but I certainly didn't invent it myself.
On your own or from a recipe - its up to you! Just give credit where credit is due I guess?
ok, so for dinner the other night our neighbor made a green salad, with romaine lettuce, and spinach, a bell pepper, onions, and pomegranate. She made homemade ranch dressing, and it was a delicious mixtur. That's my vote.e
I posted on my blog what I came up with. I had never used pomegranate and only tasted it once before this but it was great! The kids loved it, I was totally suprised! Me, I think the risotto was a little too salty but other than that it was really yummy! Check it out http://ryanandjalynne.blotspot.com
Ok, I found one that looks great. Check it out at http://mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/2009/12/sugar-rush-6-pomegranate-cheesecake.html
Post a Comment