Monday, October 31, 2011

Trunk-R-Treat and Chili Cook Off

We LOVE the annual Sandestin Branch Trunk-r-Treat and chili cook off!  It has become a fun tradition for us that we have made to 3 of the 4 since living here and will probably never miss again as long as we are here.  Remember THIS year and THIS year?  SOOOO much fun!  It is a great time for people to show off their mad chili-making skills and then off to the trunks that are sometimes extravagently decorated or not so much.  Then the kids just cycle around from trunk to trunk again and again until one by one each trunk runs out of candy and closes up shop.  It is such a fun and safe little gathering.  You get a little chatting time, enjoy some little dressed up kiddos, taste some scrumptious chili and sides and just enjoy yourself! 

Every year I plan a little theme for our family.  First the Bees, then the fairy tale themes (if Dan were there he would have been a prince).  Hey, I know it is super corny, but I only have a few years I will ever have this kind of control in my family's costume choices (and many other choices I'm sure) so I'm having my fun while I can.  This year we were the SUPER BREWERS!  I found shirts at Target for Dan and I then bought Charlie's shirt in the little boy's section then sewed the "S', skirt, belt, leg covers (try as hard as I could I could NOT figure out boots), bracelets, cape, and hair bow.  She was THE cutest super gal you've EVER seen!  When we finally put the final product on she ran around, cape fluttering in the wind and really hammed up the part.  Too bad she didn't ham it up for everyone at the party.  She was slightly overwhelmed with everything going on with all the costumes, people, food, and a "scanny" (scary) ghost and ghoul scaring everyone.  She did NOT like them.  All in all she had a good time with the other kids and was thrilled to be getting candy, even though she's probably only had 2 whoppers and a lollipop since. 

On to the chilli cook off.  I entered chili into the competition our first year and decided that was too much work for how little it was touched (I came home with almost an entire pot of chili left).  So I have just made my yummy baked corn casserole each year since.  HOWEVER, this year Dan decided he would join the fun.  He joked for weeks that he was going to win just by going to buy WalMart brand canned chili and dump it in a pot.  He was seriously going to do it until that morning.  He asked for help to find a white chili recipe, so I found one online and Dan went to town making his concoction.  I don't have to tell you how surprised and shocked we both were to find out he won first place!  Not everyone was too happy about it, but it sure made for a proud and happy Dan that night.

 All in all we had a GREAT time and can't wait for next year!  I'll have THREE minions that will have to dress to my costume demands next year!  Hee Hee!  Enjoy a few more pictures, and maybe you can join us next year!
 
 

6 comments:

The Rogers said...

I love it, Tina! I'm so impressed by your sewing skills. I agree, Charlie is the cutest supergirl I've ever seen!

F said...

so cute! and congrats dan! (you should post that recipe! i've been wanting to find a delicious white chili recipe, tried and true!)

mel nielson said...

LOVE Charlie's costume! I love that you made it! So clever! Can't wait to see what costumes next Halloween brings :)

Graham said...

Fun! Our ward does a chili cook off too. We love it! I like dressing my family in a theme too! you're right though, you don't have many years of cooperation! lol. We tried to get Gavin to be Scooby Doo this year, but he wouldn't have it! I love Charlie's costume! I wish I could sew.

Cam and Mary said...

Way to go Dan! You're so cute, Tina! I love how you coordinate costumes! I still get a little sad when I hear about the fun gatherings there.

Colleen said...

I'm totally impressed with the costume, she looked so cute! And, I also wanted to tell you...I just talked with Kate, Cameron's fiance and she said she got your comment on her blog, but couldn't comment on yours for some reason...so I am passing along the thank you from kate and the hi from cameron.